Phenylacetone (P2P) synthesis from benzaldehyde with butanone

lalalander

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Everyone says this method has flaws. Has anyone ever really gotten significant yields with this method?

Ortist

Don't buy from me
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
I used this method many times. Modified a bit. The best results I got was 30ml of P2P from 100ml of benzaldehyde. Also I know a few people who researched this reaction alot; their best results were around 35ml of P2P.

Working method:

1. Methyl-phenyl-butenone prepared as follows: 500ml of benzaldehyde is mixed with 1000ml of MEK. Mixture is cooled in a bucked filled with ice to around +5 degrees.
2. To this is added aqueous HCL, 35-37%, (you have to add 100g of pure HCL which corresponds to about 286ml of 37%HCL)
3. Mix and keep it in a bucket with ice overnight, let the ice melt.
4. Wait 24 hours more
5. Put it in a separatory funnel, discard lower layer.
6. Wash the dark brown-red mixture with 500ml of water, discard water.
7. Distill everything that boils below 150 degrees at atmosferic pressure and discard
8. Distill the rest in vacuum to get a yellow oil

This oil will darken on standing within a week.

Bayer-Villiger:
1. 100ml of above prepared oil add to mixture of 300ml of glacial acetic acid and 100ml of 50% hydrogen peroxide.
2. Heat & stir it at 55 degrees.
3. When reaction starts temperature will go up above 55..60 (about 1..2 hours) : this is the indication to turn OFF heating. If temperaturfe climbs to 70 then cool your flask under running water a bit.
4. Stir until temperature falls back to 50..55 degrees, then turn heating ON again
5. Stir & heat for 6 hours
7. Pour mixture to 1L of water, extract 3 times with 100+100+100ml of DCM
8. Distill DCM off

Saponification:
1. Put Bayer-Villiger product from the step above in a flask with stirring. Slowly add
NaOH solution (30g NaOH, 250ml water, 250ml ethanol). Slowly means dropwise, about 3..5 drops a second. Mixture becomes reddish-orange

2. At the end of addition pH should be above 12
3. To the mixture add acetic acid (any percentage) until neutral pH. Mixture will turn yellow
4. Pour this to 1L of water and extract 3 times with 100+100+100ml of DCM
5. Distill DCM & traces of ethanol off at atmospheric pressure
6. Distill your P2P under vacuum.
7. There will be alot of tar left in a flask

View previous replies…

ZMI_AA0B

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Teacher, I failed with your method! Do I need to reflux when heating and stirring 100ml of oil, 100ml of hydrogen peroxide, and 300ml of glacial acetic acid? I didn't use reflux and extracted with dam, only the darker colored lower layer liquid remained

TheNut22

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I have washed my P2P 2 times, and it is still red coloured when all of it (~20 ml) it sits in my measuring flask.
When it was in my pyrex dish, it was clear coloured, and when it was stuck in the instrument I was taking it out it was yellow coloured.
Is this normal? It is in oil form, and the smell is very honey-like.

ZMI_AA0B

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
When I introduce hydrogen chloride, it also turns red

View previous replies…

TheNut22

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I have gradually heated now for about 5 hours. My reaction temperature has been 160 C now for about 3 hours (my digi-meter is outside the flask). I'm ready for 24 hour reaction, but what do you think, how many hours should I heat this. I have AlCl3 catalyst, formamide, my P2P and formic acid in there with boiling stones.

TheNut22

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Now it has been about 25 hours ~ 155 C, but I'm still not finished.
Good bubbling still going.

TheNut22

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I finished refluxing at 27:th hour. What I was left is black very thick oil, that smells like amine. Just waiting tomorrow to get my solutes to proceed.

ZMI_AA0B

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Teacher, if my device only has a 1000ml device, how should I proceed

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Can u reformulate your question correctly? It's not understandable.

ZMI_AA0B

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
My instrument only has a maximum of 1000ml, and I have all the experts in this synthesis method. Only you can reply to me. Thank you. I am extremely grateful

ZMI_AA0B

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Step 2: 10 liters of acetic acid will fill the flask. How can other solvents still be filled

TheNut22

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Why you are on this forum, or this website? I'm just curious.

View previous replies…

ZMI_AA0B

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I want to learn how to synthesize phenylacetone in the synthesis of amphetamine

TheNut22

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Well, what can I say. At first I recommend to you , is to read some chemistry books, like Uncle Fester Secrets of Methamphetamine Manufacture vol.8. Start from there. Read, and learn, so you don't have to ask any basic questions, that many of us won't bother to tell you, because answering those kind of basics would take so much time that it becomes work. So, you have to read, to even think about manufacturing amphetamines.

ZMI_AA0B

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your guidance, teacher

ZMI_AA0B

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I have found many methods for synthesizing phenylacetone, only this method. I only have the materials, but the instrument is only 1000ml. Can the teacher teach me

Joker_55555

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score

Hi

What is the purity of p2p obtained?

Osmosis Vanderwaal

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
I looked at this reaction earlier when I realized Ace hardware has methyl ethyl ketonee in stock. Aka butanone

TheNut22

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Where I live, nowadays they only sell it in spray form. It was casual liquid in 90's to 2000's in hardware stores, and I think it's dissappearing soon from also from net stores, because I haven't found it from hardware store shells anywhere. That's why I continue to do my P2P in this way. Also this is fairly easy synth when you do it just couple of times to learn.

Osmosis Vanderwaal

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
well they have all but quit selling it here too. MEK substitute is on every shelf, but I have enough ethyl acetate to last me (that's what it is)Ace will sell you a drum of it. Ace had VM&P lye sulfuric acid muriatic acid (HCL) MEK ethyl acetate, diethyl ether and 10 other tricky to find things. Xylene in stock (I think its the mixed variety) toluene MAYBE (it's really been getting taken ff the shelves) Trichloroethylene (chorinated brake cleaner) for cleaning the gak out of your sudafed ...

ZMI_AA0B

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Because I don't have such a large container, would the experiment still be successful if I turned the material into one-fifth

ZMI_AA0B

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
May I ask how long it takes for the teacher to stir and cool at 0 degrees?