Reduction of Tryptamine using STAB. Advice?

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Okay so I’m doing an aminative reduction of tryptamine to yield various different primary active tryptamines.
I will be using the method that is on video, filmed by Hamilton Morris - not the one where HE makes MEO, the one with the weird third eye guy lol
I’ll be making sodium triacetoxyborohydrite, made in situ at the time of reduction. I have everything I need but the tryptamine (quite an essential component) but it looks as if iv solved that now. 🤞
I guess my question is, do you have any advice, experience or knowledge on this RXN?
I’v said it many times but I’m not looking to sell the world (or anyone) DMT or anything else I make.
if I poison myself, that’s on me…I have TLC equipment to be able to check what’s going on to some degree.
I think I’ll also spring for some dry ice to be able to keep It cool easier. Or maybe not actually I don’t know the temp but I’m pretty sure it can’t exceed 0c but I’d have to relook at the literature I have saved.
I am also wondering if anyone can tell me why they need to use 4A Mol seives and not 3A? Obviously when you use them for the remaining 2% of alcohol, you use 3a so why, if they are both soaking up water molecules does it need the 4a? Also what’s the difference? Are they just bigger meaning they can absorb more?
I can’t express how glad I am to have found somewhere and people to discuss this stuff with!
Iv resorted to buying tryptamine because Christ I can’t decarb it for shit! It don’t know why, maybe it doesn’t like cyclohexanone as a catylist….I dunno I just either got Goo or a liquid that’s dark and won’t re-x. Anyway I’m done with that!
im hoping the reductions are slightly less messy!

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I'm curious wether in situ formed STAB would do just like the commercial solids (I still have couple of grams of both STAB and tryptamine) but also previous hands-on experience on tryptamine prep work so I will find the right moment to do some alkylations not keen on making a big mess for no results. in theory NaBH4 + 3 M eq. HOAc gl. should result in STAB but in literature for some reason solids are used in this regard (at least last time I documented it).

CCL4 huffer

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
I'm curious wether in situ formed STAB would do just like the commercial solids (I still have couple of grams of both STAB and tryptamine) but also previous hands-on experience on tryptamine prep work so I will find the right moment to do some alkylations not keen on making a big mess for no results. in theory NaBH4 + 3 M eq. HOAc gl. should result in STAB but in literature for some reason solids are used in this regard (at least last time I documented it).
HerrHaberyeah it would i think the only downside of using stab is the water sensitivity so ull have to generate the formalin insitu with for example the bisulfite and formaldehyde adduct and triethylamine also its not compatiable with methanol so id just use a aprotic solvent with it.

Rabidreject

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
yeah it would i think the only downside of using stab is the water sensitivity so ull have to generate the formalin insitu with for example the bisulfite and formaldehyde adduct and triethylamine also its not compatiable with methanol so id just use a aprotic solvent with it.
CCL4 hufferAh thanks for your reply - tbf I think I’m going to try the NaBH4 animatics reduction route first.
I did try it but it’s summer here and I only had a normal water/ice/salt bath and didn’t add everything sufficiently slowly…
Am going to get some dry ice, try it again and also ACTUALLY make use of TLC this time also, most likely.

I must admit, iv been a little distracted trying to gather up the reagents to my next planned RXN - it involves reclaiming a few of them by distilling impure products to obtain the nitroethane/nitromethane I need to start working on phenethylamines.
Now that iv actually studied for 6 months or so, its REALLY obvious and has been for a while, that phenethylamines seem to be an easier jumping off point - in terms of not needing as many things that cost! I,e - I have everything I need but the dry ice and heptane to re-x from.
When I get £40-50 I shall try the reductive amination again - I also thought about adding the NaBH4 to some methanol maybe in order to be able to constantly drip it in really slowly or if it won’t dissolve in methanol and work that way, at the very least just add everything s-l-o-w-l-y. Although tbf with dry ice /acetone it shouldn’t matter as much.
I assume by the way the methanol that’s left over from my last round flows under UV, the equilibrium was pushed the wrong way due to high temps and maybe closed off that ring to make a beta-carboline.
I could be wrong and I may have done it correctly but I still need blooming hePtane and not f**king heXane!!
In the mean time I shall be distilling the hard to obtain chems I need to start working on different aldehydes to make phenethylamines and/or the corresponding amphetamine (in the case of the tri-substituted aldehydes - I would only make small amounts of each anyway however the psychedelic amphetamines would be used less by me than the corresponding PEA but hey ho!
This is the issue when you have a lab and yet don’t sell anything you produce! It takes a long time to gather up the actual supplies you do need and you have to have more than one project on the go at once - not physically but the gathering of materials never really stops!

CCL4 huffer

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Ah thanks for your reply - tbf I think I’m going to try the NaBH4 animatics reduction route first.
I did try it but it’s summer here and I only had a normal water/ice/salt bath and didn’t add everything sufficiently slowly…
Am going to get some dry ice, try it again and also ACTUALLY make use of TLC this time also, most likely.

I must admit, iv been a little distracted trying to gather up the reagents to my next planned RXN - it involves reclaiming a few of them by distilling impure products to obtain the nitroethane/nitromethane I need to start working on phenethylamines.
Now that iv actually studied for 6 months or so, its REALLY obvious and has been for a while, that phenethylamines seem to be an easier jumping off point - in terms of not needing as many things that cost! I,e - I have everything I need but the dry ice and heptane to re-x from.
When I get £40-50 I shall try the reductive amination again - I also thought about adding the NaBH4 to some methanol maybe in order to be able to constantly drip it in really slowly or if it won’t dissolve in methanol and work that way, at the very least just add everything s-l-o-w-l-y. Although tbf with dry ice /acetone it shouldn’t matter as much.
I assume by the way the methanol that’s left over from my last round flows under UV, the equilibrium was pushed the wrong way due to high temps and maybe closed off that ring to make a beta-carboline.
I could be wrong and I may have done it correctly but I still need blooming hePtane and not f**king heXane!!
In the mean time I shall be distilling the hard to obtain chems I need to start working on different aldehydes to make phenethylamines and/or the corresponding amphetamine (in the case of the tri-substituted aldehydes - I would only make small amounts of each anyway however the psychedelic amphetamines would be used less by me than the corresponding PEA but hey ho!
This is the issue when you have a lab and yet don’t sell anything you produce! It takes a long time to gather up the actual supplies you do need and you have to have more than one project on the go at once - not physically but the gathering of materials never really stops!
Rabidrejecti mean if u want heptane u could fractionaly destill gasoline its a bit tedious but its possible

• Free product samples

Testing products from new vendors and manufacturers.

Get free samples for testing now!

• Always stay in touch with BB forum. Element/Matrix.

Connect notifications to always stay in touch with the forum!

Connect